Friday, December 21, 2007

Very Funny

This...

Is going to be short and sweet.

I woke up this morning with a black eye! A...BLACK...EYE!!...My left eye. The bottom half. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry or poke my right eye until it matched my left eye. YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING. IS THIS SOME KIND OF A JOKE! And if so, who is laughing and where are you and is this just one more way of telling me that 2007 is such a bust that for the next ten days, until the year ends, I am going have one hideous thing happen to me after another until I am down on my knees begging for surrender?! Well, guess what...I have gotten this far and yes, I am limping towards the finish line, and yes, a good friend of mine died yesterday, and yes I'm a neurotic mess about finding peace and happiness again in my lifetime but I am telling you that I am not going to let a left black eye stop me from making it to January first so I can see what's on the other side of the horizon. So whoever you are who is doing this to me...

What? I'm not supposed to take these things personally? You are telling me this is not all about ME? That all of these things that happened were just.............RANDOM!! That I am but a cog in the wheel of life? A COG? I'm a cog. A cog with a black eye. Here is what I've decided. If I wake up January first and I still have the black eye, I am going to do something drastic like...

Cry.

But no. That would be a terrible way to start the new year. I want to laugh. I want to laugh and see peace in the middle east and I want someone to whisk me away and rub my back and tell me that everything is going to be okay and that I don't have to be afraid anymore and the worst is over and I'm safe and we're all safe and............

I'm realizing that the one thing that will never happen in my lifetime is peace in the middle east. And that's a lot worse than having a black eye. So maybe it isn't about me after all. Maybe being a cog is not so bad because without it I suppose that the wheel would fall apart. And maybe that's what they need in the middle east...More cogs. More conscious cogs.

I'm tired. Of 2007. Of disappointment. And as Mr. Ferlinghetti said..."I am waiting for a rebirth of wonder..."

1 comment:

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Ready, indeed, My dear Trish...!
I hope to see you tomorrow! If everyone is "well" cold-wise, that will happen...And I look forward to seeing your black eye!